Sports + rec: Endless summer bikes
When not cyber-beefing with Portland, Ore., over which city loves bicycling the most, Twin Citians love actual time on their bikes. Here's a roundup of this summer's top bike-centric events and activities.
Franco Marvulli, left, of Switzerland and Jean-Michel Lachance of Canada competed in last weekend's Fixed Gear Classic in Blaine, part of the Nature Valley Bicycle Festival
NATURE VALLEY BICYCLE FESTIVAL
- When: Through Sun. 6/17
- What: The professional bicyclist blowout began earlier in the month with the Fixed Gear Classic. The five-city Grand Prix started Wednesday and goes through Sunday.
- Info: naturevalleybicyclefestival.com
THIRD THURSDAY: BIKE NIGHT
- When: June 21.
- What: Ride to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, drop your two-wheeler off at the free bike valet and enjoy an evening of drinks, music and bike-related to-dos.
- Info: www.artsmia.org
MINNESOTA ARTCAR + ARTBIKE PARADE
- When: July 21.
- What: Still proving that you can fashion just about anything into a wacky piece of art, the 18th annual parade loops around Lake Harriet.
- Info: www.artcarparade.com
TOUR DE FAT
- When: July 28.
- What: Sponsored by New Belgium Brewing, it's a 15-city traveling festival promoting bike culture and featuring beer, live music and a parade.
- Info: www.facebook.com/tourdefat
SQUARE LAKE FILM FESTIVAL
- When: Aug. 11.
- What: The 10th annual Stillwater music/film fest launches throngs of bikers from two metro locations for a gorgeous commute eastward to the festival grounds.
- Info: www.squarelakefestival.com
MINNEAPOLIS BIKE TOUR
- When: Sept. 16.
- What: Starting near Walker Art Center, enjoy a bike tour of Minneapolis along the Grand Rounds Byway System. Afterward: live music, beer and food.
- Info: www.minneapolisbiketour.com