The concept of pairing hilarious people with kickass musicians isn't novel, but no one has seized it locally quite like MPR's "Wits." The popular series returns to the Fitzgerald Theater next month for a fourth season, one exploding with comedic talent. Among the highlights: politically barbed comedian W. Kamau Bell (March 29), knockout standup (and cancer survivor) Tig Notaro (April 19), "Wits" returnee Patton Oswalt (May 3), Twitter King Rob Delaney (May 10) and Hannibal Buress, who's in the upper echelon of touring comics (June 7). This season's music guests are less exciting, but 89.3 the Current listeners won't be complaining.
Here's the complete spring lineup:
- 3/15 Paula Poundstone with Robyn Hitchcock
- 3/29 W. Kamau Bell with Brendan Benson
- 4/12 Kristen Schaal with Rufus Wainwright
- 4/19 Tig Notaro with Kathleen Edwards
- 4/25 Michael Ian Black with A.C. Newman
- 5/3 Patton Oswalt with Ben Lee
- 5/10 Rob Delaney with Neko Case and Kelly Hogan
- 5/31 Colin Hanks with Jason Isbell
- 6/7 Hannibal Buress with Open Mike Eagle
- 6/14 David Koechner with Metric
"Wits" also announced that it will be available in new radio markets, including Seattle, Austin, Philadelphia, Chicago, Washington, D.C., and Las Vegas. As always, the live recordings in St. Paul will feature host John Moe and music director John Munson (with house band the Witnesses). Tickets ($27-$42) go on sale Feb. 20.